Forest School Enrichment Programs
Puddle Jumpers Forest School Enrichment Program is our child-centred inspirational learning process, that offers opportunities for holistic growth through weekly in person experiences in our 5 acre living classroom! It is a long-term program that supports play, socialization, exploration and supported risk taking. It develops confidence through learner inspired, hands-on experiences in a natural setting.
Forest School has a developmental ethos shared by thousands of trained practitioners around the world, who are constantly developing their learning styles and skills to support new and imaginative learners. Its roots reach back to the open-air culture, friluftsliv, or free air life, seen as a way of life in Scandinavia where Forest School began. It arrived in the the United States in the early 1960’s and UK in 1993 and has grown from strength to strength since then.
The process helps and facilitates more than knowledge-gathering, it helps learners develop socially, emotionally, physically and intellectually. It creates a safe, non-judgemental nurturing environment for learners to experience hands on learning in a real world setting. Forest School inspires a deep and meaningful connection to the world and an understanding of how a learner fits within it. Our approach to risk means that learners constantly expand on their abilities by solving real-world issues, building self-belief and resilience. We believe that risk is more than just potential for physical harm, but a more holistic thing, there are risks in everything we do, and we grow by overcoming them. Forest School therefore, helps participants to become, healthy, resilient, creative and independent learners through STEM, STEAM, Field studies, and environmental education. There is lots of research out there to support the outcomes of Forest School, but we know that it isn’t just the educational outcomes and research that matter, our learners love it too!
What is quality Forest School?
Quality Forest School is delivery which holds to all six key principles that shape and govern the Forest School ethos. There are many forms of outdoor education and all have enormous value, however, Forest School is unique in its reach, delivery and effect. These six principles are:
- Forest School is a long-term process of regular sessions, rather than one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a lifelong relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners, who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
It is only when we see the 6 principles working together do we truly see the value of Forest School. Underpinning our principles are some positive core beliefs.
These can be summarised as, learners are all:
• equal, unique and valuable
• competent to explore & discover
• entitled to experience appropriate risk and challenge
• entitled to choose, and to initiate and drive their own learning and development
• entitled to experience regular success
• entitled to develop positive relationships with themselves and other people
• entitled to develop a strong, positive relationship with their natural world
Forest School’s learner-centred approach interweaves with the ever-changing moods and marvels, potential and challenges of the natural world through the seasons to fill every Forest School session with discovery and difference. Making each session and every experience a valuable one.
Forest Kindergarten- 8:45 am-12:45 pm
Morning Enrichment K-2nd- 9:15 am-1:15 pm
Morning Enrichment 3rd-5th – 9:30 am-1:30 pm
Afternoon Enrichment K-2nd -1:30 pm-4:30 pm
Afternoon Enrichment 3rd- 5th – 1:45 pm-4:45 pm
FAMILY INFORMATION SESSION:
Sign up by clicking the button below & RSVP to our Facebook event!
Children should attend the event with their parents!
Saturday August 15th @ 9am
FOREST SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS: